Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: SAT at Wake Forest

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member SunTzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,434
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    SAT at Wake Forest

    WF will no longer use SAT scores for admission criteria . Not the 1st school to scrap the standardized testing but the 1st of the top 30 ranked schools . SAT critics have always said minorities and the disadvantaged have suffered from SATs , we'll see now I guess . Thoughts anyone ?
    Life is a grindstone . Whether it grinds us down or polishes us up , depends on what we are made of .

  2. #2
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SAT at Wake Forest

    HTF are you supposed to gauge the aptitude of the applicant? The color of their skin?
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SAT at Wake Forest

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotSoSilentBob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HTF are you supposed to gauge the aptitude of the applicant? The color of their skin?</div></div>

    Probably will look at transcripts and judge by GPA and the higher level classes taken and all that fun stuff - you know, the classes and such that the anti-consolidation people are declaring unnecessary for Wise County students.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SAT at Wake Forest

    Ah it's not to bad when I was in high school I just had to take 3 classes at Mountain Empire and a class in a janitors closest. I mean who doesn't want a high school student to do that?
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SAT at Wake Forest

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PVFAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah it's not to bad when I was in high school I just had to take 3 classes at Mountain Empire and a class in a janitors closest. I mean who doesn't want a high school student to do that?</div></div>
    I guess it's worth it to shelter our youth from the frightening reality of meeting new people, doing new things, and having better experiences...
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SAT at Wake Forest

    God forbid they be prepared for college. In all honesty the basic high school curriculum in Wise County does nothing to prepare a student for a four year university.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member ms pemberley's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SAT at Wake Forest

    I could have done without taking the SAT three or four times in high school. I mean, our guidance counselor made sure every honor student took it at least twice junior year and early senior year. Ruined so many Saturdays.
    Looking for my Darcy, but finding only Wickham. Right now, I'd settle for Bingley.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member FOOTBALLFEVER's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2007
    Posts
    81
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SAT at Wake Forest

    I was actually very prepared for a four year school and did very well, and I graduated from a Wise County High School, I also have family friends who are attending or have graduated from UVA, Duke, and Yale Universities and were Wise County graduates, I guess it is just the school you come from and the teachers you have. I am sure students like this have came from other schools in Wise County as well.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SAT at Wake Forest

    I was not prepared for college at all. My high school did nothing for us, not offering any help. We never had meetings about of future, colleges we may attend, or anything.
    I did fairly decent in high school, and actually couldn't stand taking classes then. However, I taught myself how to study and manage my time and work load for college. Now, I absolutely love college, and do not think it's hard at all. None of my upper elective or required classes are hard to me at all now.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SAT at Wake Forest

    I was well prepared and did fine as well....and I didn't take anything that was college prep except AP History in high school. I guess a lot of it lies more in your ability and effort than who or what you can blame for your own short comings. BTW, I think making it mandatory for all male HS graduates to do a year in the military straight out of HS would do wonders for some of those guys. Now, I'm not saying make them eligible to be sent into a war or anything...just make it to where they have to do that to receive any financial aid from the state or federal government. You'd be surprised how attitudes and priorities would change.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •